United States / August 02 2021
About Provoke Design
Provoke Design is a new and growing design-led brand studio that works to bring balance and increased opportunities for ambitious startups and small businesses, women-owned companies, and businesses led by people of color. We believe in designing for good and for those most undervalued. We specialize in strategy, storytelling, ideation, and brand design.
How We Play
We believe the future of the agency is lean and diverse, which means no excessive bureaucracy, less go-between, and more creativity. Our culture is startup, like our clients. We’re agile, primarily remote, small — yet mighty, and female-founded. Our people are passionate, intelligent, senior-level, with a desire to bring about genuine change for our clients. We're always pushing to do our best work yet! We partner with new brands who share our same mindset (ambitious), and we do it early in the game. This excites our team because they get to execute dreamy client brands from start to finish. Furthermore, the client-agency relationship for us is personal and more intimate than usual. We begin as strangers and usually end as friends. We strategize like visionaries, and we design like it’s our last time, every time. If that feels like your personal mantra, we may be a good fit for you.
What We Have
- 6 Month Contract-to-Hire Senior Design role with the opportunity to become a full-time employee with our small, but mighty studio. You'll be the first full-time hire of more soon to come — among one founder and a team of great freelance creatives.
- A chance to truly help shape a new company's culture and get in on the ground level with the hopes of going straight to the top as we're quickly growing.
- The opportunity to wear many hats. From Fedora's to Fitted's, you may create packaging one day, work on a shoot the next, and oversee client-facing meetings afterward. No day is the same.
- Friendly work team, a founder that cares and leads with solid values and compassion. We put people first. Our relationships are genuine, and we not only value clients, but we also value our team and your personal success.
- Access to project ownership because we want your career to keep developing, and to do that, one must be able to own their projects without being micromanaged.
- The expectation is for you to work independently as a leader and eventually have the opportunity to manage and mature junior colleagues.
- Creativity and ideation are in our DNA, and we want you to contribute fresh ideas and think big! We never stop dreaming; it's one of the best parts of our job.
- Dreamy and diverse start-up brands with a chance to do your best work yet.
What We Desire You To Have
- Great Personality: You should be enthusiastic, respectful, and be a joy to work around. Whether client-facing or team interactions, you have the personality necessary to complete the job, no matter the level. You can deliver results with positivity and sell your ideas while listening intently. You're accountable for your work by remaining responsive and reliable, with excellent communication skills. You can adapt to all communication styles and respond well to critiques or criticism.
- Ambition: Always aiming to be the best at what you do, you're full of ideas and looking for an environment that will empower your creativity and use all your talents.
- The Eye: You should be seasoned with an impeccable eye for good design and have good taste. You've likely been told that you have a director's eye, but you love design too much to let it go just yet. You have a deep understanding of graphic design principles and branding and are obsessed with the details. You have a chameleon-like aesthetic that is agnostic in style, adapting your design aesthetic to the business need. You have technical know-how and a sharp editing eye for crafting and designing scalable visual systems using hierarchy, layout, color, grids, graphic devices, and typography.
- Versatility: You should be interdisciplinary in skillset, working across numerous design mediums based on the phase of the project. You should have a passion for building brands and be a master at brand identity systems across all touchpoints (encompassing visual/communication design, packaging, and retail environments) as well as digital design (encompassing web design and UI/UX design). Rebrands, packaging, print/publications, prototyping + mockups with rapid iterations, and even creating stunning presentations or pitch decks should be where you thrive most.
- Exceptional Production: You must be fast-moving, always staying ahead of deadlines. You can work on multiple creative projects and take various angles yet not drop the ball. Your process is vital, and you are great at managing your time. You typically begin with sketching your design concepts and end with finalized — well-crafted assets organized for client handoffs. You do your best to ensure that all deliverables are up to standard. Well-organized file structures are essential to you, from layering to saving.
- Impressive Portfolio: You should have a significant breadth of work within your portfolio that is technically strong. Your portfolio should encompass a substantial amount of brand design. It should also display other mediums such as communication design and digital design, all exhibiting great strategy and concept behind your work.
- Leadership Skills with Teamwork Ethic: You should be a team player and a fearless leader. You articulate and execute your ideas well and easily collaborate with copywriters, strategists, art directors, management, clients, and even photographers to build something beautiful and unexpected across every touchpoint.
Technical Skills & Requirements:
- 5+ years of experience designing brand identities and bringing them to life in design environments.
- 5+ years of experience designing and launching websites, e-commerce projects, and apps.
- Mastery in the following design programs Adobe Illustrator, Indesign, XD, and Photoshop, Figma, Sketch, and InVision.
- Degree in Graphic Design, Visual Design/Communications Design, or a related design discipline.
- Excellent understanding of visual language systems and UI/UX principles and best practices. Have experience with mockups, brand identity components, templates, presentations, wireframes, prototyping, and style guides.
- Relentlessly high standards for yourself with excellent attention to detail. Always delivering high-quality designs that are accurate and systematic.
- Can work at a fast pace and meet tight deadlines with excellent time management.
- Great experience with packaging (including dielines and production oversight), designing multiple SKUs, and lines of products. Knowledge and experience with printing processes for publications, packaging, and other print products using offset lithography, flexography, digital, and screen printing.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, especially in client-facing environments.
- Think big personality, always looking for new ideas and ways to improve touchpoints, and infatuated with customer experience.
- Some travel is required for this role.
- This role is open to anyone in the United States, but you must be willing and able to relocate to NYC by January 2022. Once full-time, this role will be a hybrid onsite/remote-work position.
- Knowledge of design in the field of 3D, Motion/Animation.
- Experience with luxury brands, beauty, jewelry, or fashion.
- Award-winning portfolio work.
- Master's Degree in business or a related field in addition to design.
- Remote in NYC
- Dream Projects
- Healthy work/life balance
- Flexible vacation time
- Summer Friday’s
All candidates must apply via the application in order to be considered. Please refrain from direct emails.
We are not accepting applications from candidates outside of the US for freelance. This is a contract-to-hire position and requires the candidate to live in NYC for a hybrid onsite/remote-work position.