United States / June 27 2019
We are looking for a Designer to join the Design team in our New York studio. As a digital product Designer, you strive to create modern, well-crafted, high-performance websites and deliver highly considered graphic design with pixel-perfect accuracy. You thrive creating user-centered design systems for content-driven products that offer intuitive utility and human connectivity. You champion form and function equally and are committed to a design process that includes research, exploration, and iteration. You place a strong emphasis on craft and take pride in seeking out simple solutions to complex problems.
On a product team at AREA 17, you will join forces with user experience designers, engineers, product directors, producers, and our clients. Building upon our client’s established goals, you’ll collaborate in an iterative process of design, development and ongoing optimization. You’ll be responsible for designing complex systems and interface elements.
As a designer, your primary responsibilities would be to:
- Develop highly resolved and formal designs of visual systems and interface elements that take the product strategy to the next level
- Execute design on a project level throughout all phases of a project lifecycle, including concepting, visual design and motion, and behavioral prototyping
- Execute design production and documentation, ensuring project deliverables are produced within quality standards
- Support Design Directors in upholding and executing AREA 17’s exacting design standards and methodologies
- Articulate the rationale of a design framework with a conceptual and strategic ability
- Contribute to user experience design as needed
- Contribute to the design quality assurance phase as needed
Your experience shows us that you:
- Champion design; as you look out into the world, you see opportunities at every glance for how smarter design could make for a more beautiful, useful and joyful human experience, and that’s exactly how you approach interactive design
- Execute with precision and attention to detail
- Are a born collaborator and thrive on cross-disciplinary workflows and feedback
- You drive excellent results through consistent and proactive innovation and inspiring interactive designs; you love iteratively ideating until the best design arises
- Have a technical command, with a deep understanding of the importance of web technical specifications and requirements which you apply to create visual systems that can be achieved in code
- Have a strong understanding of the current industry tools, such as Figma and Principle, and you know how to prototype to demonstrate user journeys, as well as complex transitions and micro-interactions
Although not required, you may also possess:
- Coding experience (HTML/CSS/JS)
- Fluency in animation tools such as After Effects for the purpose of prototyping and/or motion design in regards to visual identity
The design team
The design discipline at AREA 17 relies on principles of modern design to ensure the details are carefully considered and eloquently executed. We work with strategists, user experience designers and engineers to build beautiful, performant and well-considered solutions to our client’s business problems. We craft brands that pique curiosity, express ambition and encourage loyalty. We believe design is at the heart of good business and join forces with our clients to work as one. We immerse ourselves in their culture, community, needs, and ambition. Together we establish goals and collaborate in an iterative process of design, development and ongoing optimization.
AREA 17 is a digital product agency with studios in Paris and New York. As a company, we value arts and culture, education and design, free expression and social progress. With a commitment to design excellence and engineering performance, we create brands and digital products for acclaimed museums, academic institutions, design organizations, and editorial platforms in the public and private sectors, as well as innovative start-ups, brands, nonprofits and philanthropies.
We are committed to building and maintaining a diverse staff, and recognize that our continued success depends on hiring and retaining high-quality, creative professionals with a variety of backgrounds and experiences. Opportunities for advancement exist for all employees – we invest in each member of the team to develop, grow and advance, individually and as a team.