|March 07 2023||Design||United States||FULL-TIME||REMOTE|
We’re The DataFace, a small (but mighty!) data visualization agency founded in 2017. We operate at the intersection of data science, journalism, and information design, helping our clients transform data into interactive stories and analytics tools.
Who You Are
As an information designer at The DataFace, you'll need both design sensibilities and storytelling instincts. Your main focus will be designing various types of data visualizations and websites for The DataFace's clients. You should be comfortable working in a modern design tool like Figma and collaborating with others on a design team. You're creative, passionate about data, and eager to learn new technologies.
Because we’re a nimble, cross-functional team, there will be asks of all sizes that may come across your desk (a.k.a. Slack channel). Some weeks you’ll be designing a full interactive microsite; others you’ll be throwing together static graphics and charts; and occasionally you may be fine-tuning our brand’s marketing materials. It’s important that you are a self-starter who’s willing to dive right in and take the reins where you’re needed.
Here are a few recent projects you might have worked on if you were already part of the team:
- Designing [2022 Delivered](https://www.instacart.com/food-trends-delivered/), Instacart’s end-of-year campaign.
- Creating [a microsite](https://top100.yelp.com/) to celebrate 10 years of Yelp’s Top 100 Places to Eat
- Designing a website to publicize the *[MoreThanFair](https://morethanfair.com/)* initiative.
- Designing [a printed report](https://staatus-index.s3.amazonaws.com/STAATUS%20Index%202022%20Report.pdf) for The Asian American Foundation.
- Working on a number of different websites and campaigns for [Campaign Zero](https://campaignzero.org/).
About the Role
- You’ll help shape the creative vision for projects in their infancy.
- You’ll craft storyboards, wireframes, and website mockups as deliverables for clients.
- You'll design static graphics, charts, and social assets.
- You’ll help define the team’s design process and instill best practices in our workflow.
- 3+ years of experience working in a design capacity, perhaps at a creative agency, tech company, or media outlet.
- Proven expertise in a modern design tool, preferably Figma.
- A personal portfolio full of beautiful work, ideally with some examples of data viz.
- Experience with Figma’s more advanced functionality (auto-layout, prototyping).
- Familiarity with accessible design principles and best practices.
- Comfort interacting and building rapport with clients.
- Ability to manage a fast-paced environment where you’ll juggle multiple projects at once.
Nice to have:
- A baseline understanding of HTML and CSS.
- Some experience with animation and interactive design.
- Strong writing skills and a sixth-sense for storytelling.
What to Expect from Us:
- A competitive salary, based on your background and experience.
- A benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and life insurance.
- A remote-first work environment and flexible PTO policy.
- A laptop and annual technology stipend, which can be used on things like a monitor, keyboard, or other work-related equipment.
- An annual professional development stipend, to offset the cost of seminars, conferences, or educational courses.
- A welcoming team committed to helping you grow.
This is a fully remote, full-time (40 hour per week) position, open to anyone whose normal workday will overlap at least a few hours with both U.S. coasts.
Don’t feel like you meet every single requirement? We’d still love to hear from you!
Who We Are
At The DataFace, we empower people, brands, and organizations to tell great stories with their data. Over the past five years, we’ve worked with tech giants, non-profits, and research teams to make complex data more engaging and approachable.
Our team is hyper-collaborative; we're often in Figma together, workshopping ideas until something sticks. We believe that the best creative work is the sum of multiple perspectives, and invite all team members to have a hand in crafting a project's trajectory.
Because we're self-funded and profitable, our agency can be selective in the projects we take on. We lean towards those with social impact, where we can utilize our data viz skills to advocate for things we believe in: social justice, affordable health care, and climate solutions, among other causes. We also like using client projects to push our technical skills, and won't shy away from a challenge.
We are committed to being an anti-racist, inclusive agency and upholding these ethics in the work we do and environment we foster. We encourage people of color, women and members of the LGBTQ+ community to apply, voice their opinions, and help define the agency’s trajectory.
Find many more
Interactive/Digital (UI) DesignerAbout EngagedEngaged is a digital activation agency, known for delivering interactive experiences for international brands like LEGO. Our in-house production studio delivers design and development with a team of 3D artists, digital designers, motion
1 day ago
Design Director / Sr. Digital Art Director (Full-time / Freelance)About EngagedEngaged is a digital activation agency, known for delivering immersive experiences for international brands like LEGO. Our in-house production studio delivers design and development with a team of 3D artists, digital designers, motion de
1 day ago
Senior Front-end / Creative DeveloperWe are a leading digital and brand agency on a mission to create groundbreaking digital experiences. Join our passionate team as a Senior Front-end Developer and elevate your career by crafting award-winning websites and web apps.Responsibilities:Enh
11 days ago
Digital DesignerAre you a talented, ambitious and imaginative digital designer looking for a new opportunity to showcase your skills? Look no further! At Lama Lama, a creative digital agency, we are currently searching for a passionate and skilled Digital Designer t
18 days ago