Whenever a customer interacts with an interface, it happens via some sort of web form. In this workshop, we’ll learn common pain points that customers experience way too frequently, how to solve them, and how to create an interface that excels at getting the information from the customer in a way that’s friendly, accessible and obvious — helping conversion and business KPIs along the way.
Wed 24th & Thurs 25th March 2021: 18:00 - 21:00 (CET) / 10:00 - 13:00 (PDT)
Join Vitaly Friedman, UX consultant and creative lead behind Smashing Magazine, for a microscopic examination of common components and smart design patterns in web forms — on desktop and on mobile. Study 100s of hand-picked examples — all of them from user research and usability studies of real projects — proven to work or fail in practice. This workshop is for interface designers, front-end designers and developers who’d love to be prepared for complex and time-consuming design challenges in web forms. By the end of the session, you’ll have a comprehensive toolbox with practical techniques and strategies for implementing successful web forms in your product, website, desktop app or mobile app.
In this workshop, we’ll explore:
- How people perceive and use web forms, with common usability issues and typical user behavior.
- Single-page-layout vs. multi-page-layout in wizards, checkouts and any multi-step-processes, incl. complex corporate forms.
- Input budgets, a strategy of measuring how effective and well-designed a form is.
- Layout, design and copy for required and optional input fields, labels and placeholders, incl. floating labels and design of placeholders.
- Radio buttons and checkboxes, when and how to use them to avoid misunderstandings and speed up customers in the process.
- How to deal with select wheels, dropdowns, overlay menus and their alternatives.
- Steppers, buttons and datalists, and in which situations they work better, and how to use them to speed up your customers.
- Search, filters and sorting, with common mistakes and usability issues.
- Sliders, with common problems and bulletproof solutions.
- Date and time input, as input fields and widgets, in terms of design and layout, e.g. for a birthday picker, or a calendar.
- Autocomplete UX, and what makes a great autocomplete in various settings, e.g. product search or country selector.
- When address lookup widgets make sense, and when they hurt conversion.
- The interface design and interaction design of the credit card input.
- Error validation, messaging and recovery, how and where to display errors to decrease abandonment rates.
- How to get email and password input right, especially in terms of interaction design and timing.
- Authentication patterns, with CAPTCHA and 2-factor-authentication UX patterns.
- Extensive web form design checklists for your projects.
2-Day Workshop: A Guide to Designing Web Forms that Convert
By Vitaly Friedman
This offer ends:
Vitaly FriedmanCo-founder & Creative Lead at Smashing Magazine
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and doesn’t like to give in easily. When he is not writing or speaking at a conference, he’s most probably running front-end workshops and webinars. He loves solving complex UX, front-end and performance problems.