Discovery Communications are seeking candidates for the temporary position of Senior Front- End Developer to be located in our New York City office.
- Builds websites and social applications for all modern browsers up to IE9 and mobile devices.
- Builds basic content management systems for producers and editorial teams.
- Engages in rapid prototyping and iterative product development.
- Brainstorms ideas individually and as part of a team.
- Works with design team, client Solutions, developers, and other team members to achieve group goals.
- Develops user guides and training documents for white label Discovery products.
- Develops new software that functions correctly to automate and meets business requirements.
- Participates in code reviews as needed and as assigned by their respective project team leads and department leadership.
- Reports time and work effort progress to PM and team leads according to established company standards and/or as needed and requested.
- Provides input into project technology issues and direction to their respective project team leads as appropriate.
- Ability to accurately render level of effort estimates based on information known at the time that estimate is required.
- Monitor bug-tracking (Jira) queue for tasks and update tasks with relevant information in a timely fashion.
- Ensure that the sanctioned project and development process are followed and note exceptions as necessary.
- Participate in meetings with other personnel, including QA, Product, Architecture, Publishing Operations, and management.
- Read and review functional specifications and test cases to ensure accuracy and develop understanding of business requirements.
- Mentor less senior developers.
- Recommend competitive advantages gained by emerging technologies.
- This position requires successfully independent collaboration and with others both internally and externally with other departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Front-end design with back end experience.
- Proficient in using 3rd party API’s to generate data and feed to front-end experiences.
- Minimum of 2-3 years HTML5, CSS3 experience.
- Minimum of 2 years PHP/MySQL desired.
- BS/BA degree in Computer Science or Engineering or a minimum of 5 years software development experience in relevant development languages and technical platforms.
- Ability to work independently to finish tasks of medium duration.
- Willingness and ability to write documentation including, but not limited to, technical specifications and use cases.
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- 5+ years experience of interactive design and front-end development with an award winning online portfolio that demonstrates conceptual thinking, exceptional front-end design, and understanding of development/functionality.
- 1-3+ years of building responsively and across platforms.
- 3-5+ years of experience in rich media development and/or UI design.
- 3-5+ years of online agency/advertising or client-focused experience.
- Strong Expertise with HTML5 and CSS3 experience.
- Experience with MySQL and PHP.
- JQuery (or other js framework experience).
- Strong proficiency with WordPress.
- Familiarity with W3C recommendations.
- Experience with current social tools and their relevant API’s (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, OpenGraph, etc.).
- A strong grasp of current browser technology.
- Good technical writing skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Willingness to adapt to the company coding / formatting standard.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to Apply
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/v4fr49x