Dribbble is looking for a software developer with expertise in Ruby on Rails as well as scaling and operating high-traffic web applications.
What is Dribbble?
Dribbble is a show and tell platform for designers, who share small screenshots of the designs and applications they're working on. Our site has become a go-to resource for discovering and connecting designers around the globe, and helping the world's design talent share their creations and get hired.
Dribbble began as a side project by two friends. We're now four employees strong, operating an active social network with significant traffic and influence in the design industry. The company has taken no funding, has a real business model and turns a profit. (Crazy, huh?) We're headquartered in quirky, charming, historic Salem, Massachusetts, but the person who fills this role may work on or off site.
What we're looking for
An expert Ruby on Rails developer who can help us build, scale and optimize our platform and products. We have high-traffic site and a nearly endless stream of features, fixes, enhancements, optimizations, product ideas and API extensions on which to work, so there's plenty of opportunity to build and own product and infrastructure. The ideal candidate would also be able to play a lead role in application performance, scaling and production operations to keep Dribbble stable and performant as we grow our traffic, feature set, community, API and business.
We're small and tight-knit, looking for a core contributor who can work independently - you should not only thrive at solving problems, but identifying and prioritizing them. We also want someone who loves being part of a TEAM and is comfortable being a big fish in a small (basketball-themed) pond, capable of shouldering a lot of responsibility, and willing to pitch in where help is needed.
Candidates for this position should have most of the following:
- Significant experience building and scaling applications with Ruby on Rails
- Excellent relational database skills, knowledge of SQL, and the ability to use PostgreSQL explain plans to optimize queries; experience scaling databases is a big a plus
- Experience with Memcached; Redis a plus
- Passion for owning features and infrastructure
- Strong understanding of REST and URL design
- Experience using and/or building APIs
- Experience building and optimizing activity streams
- Passion for writing tests
We would be thrilled to find someone who also has interest in leading infrastructure-oriented projects and the following ops chops:
- Experience configuring servers, providing operational support and troubleshooting problems in production
- Load balancing, caching, database replication, and queuing
- Capacity planning, application monitoring and performance tuning
- Linux/UNIX system administration
- Configuration tools like Chef, Puppet
- Deployment management
Our production stack includes:
Ruby on Rails
We're looking for someone who'd like to be here for the long run, so it's a big plus if you're already a fan of Dribbble and/or design. The ideal candidate cares about the design industry and is excited to build software that helps its members connect. If that sounds like you, please consider joining us in shaping the future of Dribbble's product and business to better serve the people who design the web.
Work can take place at our office in Salem, MA, or remotely, or some combination of both. We currently have three employees in-house and one (developer) working remotely. (Must be a U.S. resident.) While we're still learning how optimize the remote working experience, thus far it's been a huge success.
This is a full-time position. We offer a competitive salary, flexible work schedule, flexible vacation, stock options and 100% company paid health, dental and vision insurance.
How to Apply
To apply, send us your application here: http://dribbble.theresumator.com/apply/6ZahFZ/Ruby-On-Rails-Developer.html