We’re looking for a front-end web developer to join our small team at Fieldwork HQ, based in Manchester’s Northern Quarter. You’ll work on making digital things for nice people.
Your main activities at Fieldwork will include:
- Writing front-end code for custom web applications.
- Developing CMS based sites with platforms like WordPress and Shopify.
- Developing web development resources for use internally and for release into the wider web development community.
- Working with the rest of the Fieldwork team on internal hack days.
- Researching, staying up to date with, and where possible contributing to, front-end web development best practices.
- Writing blog posts and articles about the work that you do at Fieldwork.
Being such a small team, we all muck in and make things happen. We don’t expect you to have the skills to cover everything, of course, but need you to be keen to get stuck in, solve problems as they arise, learn as you go, and contribute wherever you can.
Who We’re Looking For
- You’re good at learning as you go, and solving problems on-the-fly.
- You can work independently, and you can support the rest of the team.
- You like to investigate new technologies, stay up-to-date, and tinker with new ideas, but when you need to you can ignore all of the shiny stuff and focus your attention on getting a project or feature nailed.
- You like things to look good and work well.
- You pay attention to the little things that make all the difference (it bugs you when those two boxes aren’t quite lined up).
- You’re into this.
- This one is really important: you enjoy making stuff.
Working at Fieldwork
We’re a small design and digital agency working on interesting digital and branding projects for nice clients. Mixing bigger digital projects with small, simple projects, we always focus on good quality design and build.
Whatever we’re working on, we always keep it simple and do it well, making time to make a polished product. We want to be proud of the stuff we make.
Some weeks are flat-out with client work and deadlines, and we earn that after work beer on Friday, but when things aren’t so crazy, we make time to practice what we preach and experiment, making things just for the fun of it.
You’ll work from Fieldwork HQ, in Manchester’s Northern Quarter, surrounded by the city’s best food, drink, events and a thriving creative community.
Salary and Conditions
- £20,000 per annum for the first 3 months (trial period) and £21,000 after that. We believe that salary should reflect your contribution to Fieldwork, so we’ll keep a close eye on making sure that happens.
- The successful candidate will have a three month trail, after which we’ll offer you a permanent contract if you’re happy and we’re happy.
Application & Timeline
Here’s how the application process works:
- Send us your application (details below).
- Come and meet us for an informal interview.
- Spend two days working with us, paid, to find out if we’ve got chemistry (we can be flexible on this – if you can’t take this much time out of your existing position, for example, we’ll work something out).
How to Apply
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- A concise covering email, to let us know a bit about yourself and why you’d like to work with us (we don’t like applications that sound like templates, we do like ones that sound like you’re a real person).
- Show us some code on GitHub, or live sites, or anywhere.
- If you blog, and you think it’s relevant, point us to it.
- Send us your CV, with relevant experience and qualifications (We don’t mind if you don’t have any relevant qualifications)
Get your application in by 25 November, 2013.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
How to Apply
Please see the “How to Apply” section at the bottom of the post.