Happy Cog, an industry-leading digital design consultancy, is seeking a Design Director to join our team. This role requires you to lead a team of designers who creating beautiful, accessible, functional websites for a variety of devices. The Design Director authors the strategic vision for projects (internal and external), facilitates client workshops, and ensures the efforts of any designers working on his or her projects meet or exceed the expectations of Happy Cog, our clients, and their users.
While you must lead by example, there will be plenty of roll-up-your-sleeves design work to complete. At Happy Cog, everyone contributes on the front lines. In addition, you need to be a thought leader - you live and breathe your craft and you are passionate about sharing it with others through writing, speaking and community participation.
This position is for our Austin office. Relocation assistance is available depending on experience and distance.
The Design Director is responsible for overseeing the design work at Happy Cog, from project definition and discovery through information architecture, graphic design, and implementation. You will mentor and manage a world-class team, helping them devise new methods, techniques, and practices for efficiently and consistently delivering well-designed content to a multitude of devices and platforms. Your work history will speak for itself, and your ability to motivate others will be front-and-center. It’s fair to say you can expect a fair amount of scrutiny of your work.
In addition to designing your responsibilities will include:
- Effectively managing your team’s workload
- Keeping your team members inspired and energized
- Expanding your team’s capabilities by seeking professional development opportunities
- Working closely with other disciplines at Happy Cog to ensure seamless execution
- Leading client meetings and presentations, participating in business development pitches
- Ensuring all deadlines are met, all work is delivered under budget
- Keeping on top of new front-end development methods and technologies
- Communicating appropriately to diverse audiences
- Multi-tasking: juggling simultaneous projects and management duties smartly
- Lead by example
- Active participation in the design community through writing, speaking and other contributions
Skills and Experience
We need you ready to jump in right away, so there’s no learning-on-the job. You need to be confident and ready. The following skills and experience are required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work/life experience
- 8+ years as an interactive designer
- 4+ years working with clients directly (in person meetings, conference calls, email)
- 2+ years managing people (teams of 3+)
- Expert knowledge in typography, composition, and color theory
- Firm understanding of Progressive Enhancement and Graceful Degradation
- Keen awareness of Responsive Web Design and recent advancements
- Keen awareness of mobile design (iOS and Android).
- Firm understanding of current HTML5 and CSS2/3
- Ability to multitask
- Knowledge of accessibility (Section 508, WCAG) and usability best practices and techniques
- Ability to work with remote teams and still communicate effectively
Happy Cog offers a generous package of medical insurance with dental and vision, 401k with matching, a personalized, annual education budget and an outgoing team with a great sense of humor.
How to Apply
If you think you’re our new Design Director, please send a cover letter, your resumé, and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any submission missing those three requirements will not be considered.